Thursday, April 21, 2005

Hostility

The first thing I was conscious of was my brain - working while my eyes were still shut. A song was playing in my head, and I refused to get out of bed until I figured the title of the song. I randomly picked names, but I couldn't put my finger on it. So I turned this way and that, ruffled the blankets and felt the cold breeze brush my legs. Like a jolt, I realised that I was thinking of Lifehouse's You and Me. Then I opened my eyes, and was greeted by the bluish hues on the early morn.

When I finally mustered enough determination to get out of bed, I looked at my ridiculous Winnie the Pooh clock. It was 8.20 a.m and I saw my dinner plate on the dressing table, left unwashed due to my blatant laziness. A new day, a new set of chores, and a whole lot of carry forward work to be done and over with. Ugh!

****

It was odd how the merged class of July '03, Jan '04, and Mac '04 reacted when from one corner of the room a classmate shouted, " Meera!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!".
Everyone turned to the one that had shouted, shocked at her brazenness, then slowly turned to Meera once they fathomed what the short sentence meant. What shocked me was the fact that all of them collectively kept quiet. As if the seconds of silence usually given as a sign of respect during funerals was a fitting birthday greeting. Only some bothered with claps and cheers but there wasn't a song or any of the likes, as if it just took too much from their able bodies.

I sighed, regrettably. What is it with this world? Aveena made spontaneous plans to take Meera out for a treat at Secret Recipe. Half of her zeal must have sprang out from her guilt - she had forgotten all about it and had resorted to calling up other friends just to confirm that yesterday was in fact Meera's birthday. After all the chiding Eunice, Meera and I smothered Aveena with; there was just no other way out. How many times has that girl let us down? Haih, haih, haih….

*****

Happy Birthday Meera!

2 Comments:

Blogger YueN said...

hey! hahaha...what's wit ur blogger n posting stuff twice? going wacky? Poor Bondi.

Heh heh..i take it that the girl who shouted wasn't YOU! hmmm..don't worry too much about that la...maybe the class was just too big n so ppl don't really know each other?
Oh well...i guess that's college for u.

9:53 AM  
Blogger smartass said...

Weird! My combined classes of July 03, Jan 04 and March 04 sang at the top of our lungs (my voice was mostly heard)when somone's birthday came along. It was initaialed by yours truly.

As I wanted to stall for time. Class was boring. Heh. =) Man, you science people are just weird lah.

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home