Monday, April 11, 2005

So, It's Me, Myself and I

I'm so excited. It's official. It's my FIRST DAY entirely alone. Except for persistent calls from nossy relatives, I'm the man of the house. I get to eat whatever I want, watch whatever I want, listen to the radio station of my choice and I can very well walk naked around the house - a matter of expression since it's technically impossible to be completely out-of-sight in a condominium.

So, today started earlier than usual. Sent my family off for their pilgrimage at 5.00 a.m. I had planned to go back to bed - I have always managed to be jaded about things like this. Instead I scrubbed myself and drove - uh the car's MINE too!!! - to the temple at 6.15 a.m. It's a surprise even to me. It's my first time alone at temple and at such a time.

By 7.00 a.m, I was in college. Yes, a bit too early - I'm an early person, but not a morning person. As I was sitting at the empty cafeteria, it slowly dawned on me that I've to survive with cafeteria's food for 3 weeks, at least for lunch. Not a very pleasant thought. As for dinner, oh well, I'll cook - if I don't burn the food prior to consumption and if it's edible.

The first thing I did when I got home was change the radio station placed in the hall. Tuned it to Light and Easy - a current obsession since I'm more of a romantic than a cynic now. As I scanned the house and tasted the stuffy air, thanks to the shut windows, I wanted to repeat my favourite line 3 times with enthusiasm - I'M ALONE. Just that very second, I saw the pile of things on the dinner table, the unfolded clean clothes, dirty laundry, dishes with stagnant water in the sink, sheets of my silly brother's comics and on and on and on…..

Very well, I don't want to start studying right away anyway. I'm the type that does everything except study during exams. But seriously the chores didn't end. It was one after another. After clearing the comics I got appalled by the dust on the floor, after cleaning the dishes I realised there was more in my room, after cleaning the dinner table I decided to shift the old newspapers pile to a more hidden place. Then I discovered the amount of food there was, leftover that is. How am I going to eat all this?

The leftovers are proving to be just too much. I can't throw them away right? I only have my sense of smell to gauge how rotten they were. I almost wanted to have something for dinner when I caught mold growth with my ever failing sight. Then I found some cookies all soft with too much air exposure but it was still good. What do I do with them? Uh, maybe I can mix biscuit crumbs and yogurt…er…isn't that crumbs with cheese instead of yogurt? GOD!

This isn't going to be as fun as I thought it would be. But for starters, I have decided to slow down on the cleaning. Will stick to one spot a day. Besides, no one is visiting - yet. Ah, can't wait for the 'drunken rendezvous' with a bottle Merlot and little shot glasses (doubt shot glasses are appropriate with wine…hrm)…..The only thing that worries me is the verbal diarrhea I will go into during bouts of incoherence, other that that - C'est La Vie!


In the mood for love with Shania Twain's Don't

1 Comments:

Blogger YueN said...

ooOOoo...someone's home aLOnE!
So how dya like the feel of having ur own place,car,...independence (u know, the whole lot).

I'm eating chocolate chip cookies now. And i can't seem to stop. They're so yummy.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home