Sunday, February 20, 2005

Driving Maverick

Red - Go
Yellow - Go Faster
Green - Go without looking

That's what the traffic lights mean to my Chemistry Lecturer. (Yah, of course he was joking). This came up after my proud announcement that I had jumped the red light that morning, on the way to college. It just didn't make sense - waiting. Since it's an old car, I think there must be something wrong with the shock absorbers or something - it just vibrates when stationary. No, its not stimulating, interestingly it just induces an urge to pee.

I got my 'P' driving license back in April 2004. I had cold feet I suppose, I never did like driving back then. Just go on the road and you see cars akin to speeding bullets and I didn't get the criss-crossing of changing lanes. Too many things to watch out for. Plus, I just couldn't get things coordinated, even if I could, it would just be too late. How is it that the rear view mirror and the side ones were suppose to work hand-in-hand? I had no direction and worse, no dimension. My spatial intelligence was zilch, if anything!

Then came December 2004. Mommy told me there was a possibility that I would be home alone for a couple of months, and so I had to drive my sorry self around. It's reason enough to push and shove myself to take the wheel…..

It February now, and I have broken speed limits at residential areas, jumped a red light, and ignored a quick changing yellow light…just like a typical Malaysian. It didn't occur to me that while I was getting all jaded, the authorities are in full force against errant drivers.

I'm just getting all comfortable with driving. You know, the maneuvering with one hand, coolly giving others the priority at junctions, flashing the one hand wave to guards…AND…Blasting the radio. Initially refrained myself from singing along during daytime, (don't want to be labeled as a madman). Thanks to the hands-free set, I guess it's okay to pretend you're actually conversing with someone. Then again, who needs to be self-conscious?

Blasting the radio and singing along is just plain fun. Even converted my usually silent lil' bro into a singing partner. With songs like 'You make me feel like dancing', you just HAVE dance to it. Of course it's only limited to moving the shoulders, but hey, that's good enough.

It's not all rosy though - My dad thinks my turnings are horrendous and mommy says my parking skills are nothing short of shit-ty. The only one that doesn't complain is lil' bro. Driving him to and fro from tuition is the only time he gets to rap without chiding from mother dear.

And by the by, only on Wednesday, I coax my friend into letting me cruise on her big-fat-green Mercedes. Oh, such a big thing controlled by - ME! So, it was just a straight road, and I didn't get to take any turns, but I DROVE A MERC…….AwEsOmE!

Who knows what's to come of my driving in the weeks to come…no accidents…hopefully….heh!

Dozing off with John Mayer's Daughters

1 Comments:

Blogger fishtail said...

Please do remember that nose digging is an offence while driving, Merc or otherwise :)

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home