Thursday, January 06, 2005

The Next 8 Hours

31st of December 2004

0958


Was online, 20 minutes ago. Noted the flourish of information on the Tsunami Disaster that happened in our 'back yard' (or more appropriately - front yard). So many views in so many blogs. Noticed that for Americans, every catastrophic disaster is measured using the 9/11 scale. The death toll is currently a staggering 120 000 (rounded of). " That's 57 times the 9/ll". The local media surged forward by naming this disaster 26/12 - shouldn't it be 12/26 if they really wanted to duplicate the hype? Personally, approached this Mother Nature's fury with detachment - since it’s only human to disregard things that don't involve you. Had a wake up call 2 days ago when I saw a harrowing picture of a father cradling his deceased son. Woe, woe, woe…


1102


Trying desperately to look presentable. Walking around the room trying to organize the 'look' with the windows wide open. The windows are tinted, so during the day, the outside can't view the inside. This doesn't work at night. The outside gets a real good view. Being as sloppy as I am, I sometimes wonder if the window that shows me the world is playing double or not. Could that explain why there are so many guards walking around Block B instead of A (am staying in Block B)? Oh shit, miscalculated the time again and am currently rushing to get ready before I must leave home.


LUNCH


45 minutes passed, and we waited for the table to hold a party of 7. Everybody is so busy these days. There used to be a time when the 31st was nothing but a holiday. Since it was Friday, the table was divided into Vegans and Non-vegans. The Vegans were advanced, they decided what to have and when the food came wolfed it down with such ferocity.

2 of them 'suddenly' disappeared without excusing themselves - so much for planning a lunch in an Italian restaurant and pretending that for the past year since we waved secondary school good bye, we managed to be more 'cultured'. I mean common, one of us ordered risotto but ended up snowing it with chili flakes. My guess is, she just missed her Nasi Lemak. They then reappeared - with a CAKE. Seriously - was Surprised. So, opened the box to find 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY TUBE LIGHT'. Having a birth day was no excuse for them Not to Insult me. I had the highest order of Blur-ness now. I didn’t even know what tube light meant - proving their point!

When the singing started - they Shouted. I made it a point not to glance around the packed eatery, but enjoyed this moment while I could. What more can I ask ? - A day with friends that saw me through thick and thin. Blessed really. The part of the song that needed to be personalized with the person's name was muffled - they couldn't decide whether to say "Tube light" or "Priya".

After blowing the candles - they couldn't wait until I made a wish, I was forced into making a speech! No good in impromptu stuff. They chorused "Go to Hell" when I said, " Have a good life" in desperation. The video was basically us arguing among ourselves, like we always do. When it came to eating the cake, asking forks became a Major Flirting Opportunity. Since it was a European that waited our table, we gave each other equal encouragement to ask for it. Call it 'The White Syndrome'.

The prezzies. Shocking really. Everyone gave me something that was coupled with some kind of candy. They were chocolates and even lolly-pops. I must have been very vocal about my fascination with food. On the way to a friend's house, while huddling in the cab, they told me that one of the presents was a fish. Since we left it in her mothers car, it must have died and rotted! I honestly thought that it was so bloody cool. It was the quirkiest gift ever…..



1730


In my friends house now. We are counting back the 6 years of companionship we have had. All the gifts that I gave her over the years were displayed around her room - every year accounted for. When it came to my turn - we couldn't recall what she had given me for 2 years out of the 6. Her room is different now. Adorned with a X-Men 2 poster that I had flirted with the cinema attendant to get for her - since she was in love with Wolverine. Hugh Jackman was the decorative theme of her room now - his face was all over the place. Had a good laugh when her brother showed us his new 'mushroom' hairstyle. Have to get home soon…



3 Comments:

Blogger Jollivet said...

I cannot stress more on how influential you are in terms of food. A mere comment on your blog spurred me on to have a bite of chocolate cake. ANYWAY. Hey! Cultured folks have their rissotos with chilli. FLAKES. Not chilli powder, not chilli sauce. chilli FLAKES.. and that was precisely what I asked for! =) Anyway.. haha glad you enjoyed your "food" gifts. Well hope you liked the lolipop anyway! =) was a great lunch.. would be better if you could join us TODAY! Someone must be flitting off to one of her busy schedules...yet again.. So here's my cracked up blog. Just a tangle of words that I often write in this placental membrane that I often cannot seem to break blogging.
Bon Apetit..!

11:02 PM  
Blogger BoNdI said...

Dear Jol!!

See that you have toned down the usage of redundant adjectives. hahhaha. It's not the chili flakes, it's the way you stacked in on your rice! ahahha. Gave us a shock.
So full of crap lar you!

Thank you really.

9:58 AM  
Blogger YueN said...

u guys....i'm hungry.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home