Monday, October 04, 2004

SHhhhhh! Gossip

“Ah, everybody needs to bitch about somebody someday. Besides, it’s the time of the month, for me that it,” she said.

I nodded in approval since I was technically doing more than listening that day. The juice of it however, was the fact that the subject in question was sitting directly in front of me, sharing the same coffee table, animatedly talking to another member of the group. The term ‘back-stabbing’ suffers greatly from its misuse in this scenario since we were reverting it usage outright. It simply can’t be helped, I told myself, as I watched him ‘impressing’ his mate with his freshly memorised facts in preparation for a test. “Argh” we mourned in complete disgust while watching him ‘make’ a point…

See, gossip can seriously retard ones station in life. If a neutral party were to receive incriminating news about a person, he would be predisposed to ‘look-out’ for the said weird qualities in that person. And, oh-so-unfortunate if he detects it because he would most certainly view the person in a different light altogether. After that, it would be quite a daunting task to thread upon neutrality again.

But, gossips can be horrendously fun too.
For example :
A pretty girl dressed daringly walks past, baring her mid-riff..
-My gosh, her body…
-You have no idea..
-Why?
-She once came to college, BRALESS!
-Ah huh-
-The lecturer couldn’t teach and the guys were occupied throughout the class, ogling at
her that is..
-She wore white that day..
-Yewww
-She goes around braless in the hostel too ..

That’s just a simple one. They’re many varieties of gossip. I met a person who refused to link me to her blog-site, citing that hers was all about backstabbing someone and therefore she didn’t want to jeopardize her freedom of speech if the subject finds out.

Now, don’t start thinking gossiping is a past-time exclusively for girls. I was like a bursting damn the other day and since it was a guy I was talking to, I made it clear what I was about to do.

He simply said “I wonder why girls like to gossip with me…”
“You should be honoured…”
“Huh?”
“It only means you’re nice to talk to..’

It doesn’t quite revolve around peers of the same age group…it stretches quite far sometimes….even including the teaching staff..

Example:
-Did you see that?
-See what?
-Oh, come here lah!
-Gosh, did the shop run out of L-sized shirt or what?
-Knowing him, he would have asked for the S-sized instead…
-ahhahahahha, so cute lar…No class to teach today I think…
-Note the absence of a collared shirt with those ever-colourful ties
-Got to tell the others man…
-Er, never realised how ‘small’ he is after all that ‘oh-I’m-so-important-but-cool-walk’..
-hahhahahha

I’m sure everybody has ‘talked’ about somebody’s sexual orientation before and even went as far as having a heated conversation about it….

While I was watching a friend munching away his ‘Sneakers’ in front of me without any consideration to me when I made it clear that it was my favourite, a guy who happens to be a homosexual passed by. Hoping to entertain him, but above all distract myself from a bar of heavenly chocolate, I told him that that guy was gay. His reply was a blank look while he watched him tenderly hug a girl and sit down cross-legged before rushing into a animated ‘girl-talk’ and a simple “Who told you ?”

Having said all that, gossip ain’t right but its sure a lot of fun. Especially when you’re trying to kill time and divert attention from yourself.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well... gosipping in my opinion has become a daily ritual to many where it is the only thing people have in common.. quite sad actually... =( -P-

5:13 AM  
Blogger BoNdI said...

Dear P-

Yah, sadly true. But imagine a world devout of gossips...equally sad don't you think?

9:13 AM  
Blogger smartass said...

Wow! I'm honoured that I've been mentioned quite a number of times in this entry. Haha. =) Gossip is only fun if you are the gossiper and not the gossipee. I try not to gossip much (apparently, it doesn't work) for 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned'. I wouldn't want to end up getting whacked. =)

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home