Sunday, June 03, 2007

Ally, Ally, Ally!



What do I remember of my 15 year old self?

Ally Mcbeal. While not defining my life at that point; she was my window to the world of adult liberation; sex, dancing, ultra miniskirts, cocktails and who can forget the fantastic music?

Once a week, I would relish my time where I would rest my arse on the sofa instead of my thinned, insufficiently cushioned work chair, tearing myself away from textbooks or penguin classics – because they were ridiculously cheap.

Ally was my guide. Yeah, we were at opposite poles; she was half way on the relationship roller coaster ride (because at 30, heaven forbid, females are not at the end of the ride!), while I have not quite started yet. I wonder why I thought we were bosom buddies; we had nothing in common apart from severe loneliness, dejection and the propensity to surprise by dancing crazy, inappropriately paced verbal diarrhoea, turn radish red in a blink of an eye….

Watching it again, 6 years later, I wonder how I understood many things…those innuendoes you need to be on your own feet to know. But there are common themes any girl, of any age can relate too. For example Ally thought me early that, ‘Men are testosterone filled mutts’…which with experience you’ll know it’s not completely true. And who knew the deceptively clean co-ed washrooms could be the best place to gossip only to have the very person being discussed come out of the stall? Oh, there was never a groovier place to shake those hips to Barry White!

But the greatest lesson of all is the Ling's 101 on kissing:


Tilt your head,

Worse thing would be for our noses to collide

Now lick you lips..i’ll do it….you don’t want them dry

Now ….just receive….reciprocate, but don’t escalate….

You ready?

You may think you have been kissed Richard Fish, but you haven’t been

The result – Richard was hyperventilating 5 mins later.





4 Comments:

Blogger zewt said...

hey, thanks for dropping by my blog.

ally mcbeal... that's certainly a thing of the past. but i will remember it was the first few series which introdced 'subtle humour' to the world.. much better than those straight forward sitcom.

oh yeah... barry white's tune is one of my fav... and no, we are not just made of testorones.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Saddiq said...

awww u must be thinking about me when u wrote that men arent just testosterone filled mutts.

working those dvds i see?

they still can't beat what the buck show though.

10:25 PM  
Blogger BoNdI said...

zewt - now we hv too many shows like that isnt it. I think grey's anatomy was based on ally mcbeal, only its setting is in the hospital.

jakk - i say it time and again and will continually do so. you're the greatest cheerleader of my life!

11:12 AM  
Blogger zewt said...

yeah... grey's kinda like it... started with desperate housewives. but i am hook on 24 and prison break.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home