Sunday, August 15, 2004

The First Memories...

Much to YingKs! disappointment, I have decided to for-go my initial plan of continuing my ramblings with 'Lowly Situations 2', but instead write on my earliest memories....

Have you earhtlings out there wondered why we can only remember things that don't strecth far back from the day we were born but instead only start at maybe 3 to 4 years of age. Surely, a memory as horrenduous as coming out from dear mommy's womb is not something very attractive. However, why is it that our brains are rewired intentially?

I was reduced to conversing with myself the other day, thanks to boredom, my very,very close companion.I started thinking about what I could remember from my days as a very little child. Somehow, I could only make out three, vaguely that is. I simply concluded these golden three were my earliest because I couldn't precisely make out my age from them and because they were as brief as a bolt of lightning. I have chosen to speak of only one though.

I woke up on a misty morning still shy of the sun. The windows were still dark in my grandmother's house and I was blinking repeatedly to get the blotchy feeling out of my eyes. I rubbed my them rather vigorously and heard the birds early morning chatter on the world news. My grandmother's powder room had the lights on, a clear indication that she was up and about. I reluctantly flipped my blanket and was welcomed by the cold breeze of the fan. Standing up, I dizzily walked to the kitchen knowing without a thought that she would be there.

I saw her, standing near the sink. She was peeling something or another and I went closer with the intention to help. Odd = somehow as a child we accept our roles outlined by the respective gender more readily than when we are adults. She handed me the white miniature pumpkin with a severe case of dry skin but refused to give me the small knife. She then briefly disappeared.

I heard the screeching of a chair being lifted up far off and then put down again very close to me. With one mighthy movement, I was carried and I soon found myself on a raised platform. Previously, without the chair, I could only reach the sink if I was standing on my toes.

Within a few minutes, I was dismissed. My little fingers couldn't compensate for the speed she wanted to work with..

That's all...unfortunately. I wish I could remember more on the time when I was a little child under the watchful eye of my grandmother. Those days when life was so simple should have lasted longer and cherished.

Having accounted mine, what's yours?

5 Comments:

Blogger yingks said...

I really think your counter is not working. Really. Try re-doing it.

Memories... oh well, it's irritating when you're really tired, cos that's when the best things in life happen, and you just can't recall its details the moment you wake up the next day! How annoying.

But little memories from ancient times are fun to cherish.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Memories are nice.... especially if they are happy ones.We must sometimes realise that not all memories are happy.I do not know for sure whether or not you are trying to portray a happy or simply confused memory... but by telling it detail, you made me think back on my own memories.Sometimes, its events like this in your life that shape the person you grow up to be...krystle

4:06 PM  
Blogger BoNdI said...

Dear YingKs!

Ancient or not, memories are profound as it only needs a fraction of a second to impart a valuable lesson to you. At first glance, it might not mean anything, but as you think more about it, more will come. You telling me about forgetting them the next day, sounds more like dreams, does it not? ;-))

thanks for dropping by!

1:38 AM  
Blogger fishtail said...

Was away for a short weekend, and when I got back, I found 3 very interesting postings here ... wonderful! Keep it up, BoNdI!

2:19 AM  
Blogger BoNdI said...

Dear Fishtail,

More than often, indulgences bring about procrastination in another area. I'm refusing to do my homework using my blog as an excuse. Hardly a good one, but, acceptable....

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home